The World Health Organization (WHO) should not be blamed or be made the scapegoat for the ravishes of the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic across the United States (US). Neither is China to blame.
US President Donald Trump, on Tuesday, April 7, 2020, made comments deflecting blame for the spreading COVID-19 in the US onto the WHO. He said the WHO "really blew it" and he accused the United Nations (UN) health organization of being "very China centric".
With the greatest respect for the High Office of the presidency, I submit that the world and the American people must reject the deflection of Trump with regards to responsibility of the spread of COVID-19 in the US, where the disease has infected more than 400,000 Americans so far and killing more than 12,000.
Emerging reports are confirming US intelligence warnings back in 2019 that the Novel Coronavirus could impact the US. Moreover, a revealed memo from a Trump insider in January 2020, also warned of the dangers of a pandemic coming to America. Yet, Trump, who once said the disease was under control in the US, has sought from time to time to blame others for the disease instead of accepting responsibility for his administration's slow and faulty response to the pandemic.
In spite of all other warnings to the Trump administration about the Novel Coronavirus, the following time line remains exact:
Did the US and other countries have ample warning of the spread of COVID-19? Yes! In briefing after briefing throughout January, February and March, the WHO implored upon nations of the world outside of China, to prepare for the arrival of the Novel Coronavirus. Whether or not the WHO supported travel bans as a vehicle to fighting the disease, is immaterial. Nation states, not the WHO, have the power to enforce travel bans. Could the WHO have declared a pandemic earlier? Sure. Would Trump have prepared sooner? I don't think so.
Throughout the month of March, and in the face of a missing national plan to fight COVID-19, American States, including New York, Washington, California, Michigan, Louisiana, New Jersey, Connecticut and others continued to beg the Trump administration for assistance - medical and otherwise, to help prepare for and to fight the disease. Some assistance has been given including two Navy ships to New York and California along with medical equipment to the States, yet the assistance has not been enough to satisfy the prevalence of the infection among the States.
A slow response to the pandemic from the Trump administration, along with an initial bungled of a testing process, have exposed too many Americans to COVID-19. Therefore, the responsibility for the spread of COVID-19 in America, is Trump's; and Trump's alone, not China, not the WHO.